To all my dear readers: Happy New Year!! May the year 2006 bring you good fortune and success.
In conjuction with the new year, I have added a favicon to my blog. If you do not know what a favicon is; it is the little picture beside the URL of this blog. Here’s a screenshot of AmosWong.com’s favicon (in red circle):
Some say that having a favicon is like putting on cosmetics. This is only partly true. More importantly, having a favicon on your blog allows the visitors to quickly identify your site in their Favorite folder among the other bookmarked site. Take a look at the example below:
If you do not have a favicon currently and you are interested to, here’s how to can do it.
- First, you will need an image. Any image will do provided that it is royalty-free and not copyrighted (meaning, you cannot use Coca-Cola’s corporate logo as you favicon).
- Go to Chami.com’s Favicon Tool page.
- Upload you image by clicking the “Browse” button and click “Generate Favicon”
- After Chami’s tool completed the generation, you will be presented with the link to download you favicon. Click the download link and save the favicon on your computer. (You can also test your favicon by clicking on the “Test in Browser”
- Unzip the contents you have just downloaded and upload the favicon to your webhost (“public_html” folder, for most of you).
- You will now need to edit your header.php of your wordpress blog. Depending on the theme you use, locate the header.php folder and edit the file by adding the following code:
- Save your header.php file
- Hard refresh your browser by pressing the Ctrl+F5 keys. You should now be able to see your favicon next to your URL.
Note: If you wish to change your favicon, simply replace the .ico file with another. Enjoy.